Types of Cheese Propioni. can be used on
All large eye cheeses such as Baby Swiss, Large Swiss styles, Emmental, Gruyère, Jarlsberg, Comte, Leerdammer, Maasdam.
Dosage and pack size
- Large Size (5 D) will inoculate up to 500 litres of milk (foil sachet).
- Small size (2.5 D) will inoculate up to 250 litres of milk (screw cap bottle).
- Add ¼ drop spoon to 8 litres of milk or the volume your recipe prescribes.
- Lyofast PB 1 is a freeze-dried culture, it consists of selected strains of Propionibacterium freudenreichii ssp. shermanii. Lyofast.
- Produces more and faster eyes than other Propionic bacterium.
- PB 1 may be applied to produce big-eyed hard cheese such as Emmentaler and Swiss cheese types.
- Lyofast PB 1 ferments lactose and lactate producing carbon dioxide, propionic acid, and acetic acid. Lyofast
- It also plays a role in developing nutty and sweet flavours flavors
- Has resistance to high cooking temperatures, low post-acidification, and some resistance to salt.
- The carbon dioxide by-product is responsible for forming the holes or ‘eyes’ in the cheese.
- The use of Lactobacillus helveticus is recommended for hard cooked cheeses.